Saturday, July 2, 2011

Shirred Eggs

This is my new favorite way of eating eggs. It's rich and salty and flavorful. Can you ask for anything more?

1/4 tsp butter
2 Tbs Cream (I skim the fresh cream off of our goats' milk)
2 eggs
Salt and Pepper
Chives

1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F
2. With the butter, grease a ramekin
3. Put the cream in the ramekin and then break the eggs into the cream. Gently move the yolks toward the center.
4. Top with salt, pepper and chives. You can also add cheese if you'd like as well.
5. Bake for 12 minutes. You want the center still a bit jiggly while the edges can be pulled away from the side of the ramekin.

Viola! You've got shirred eggs.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! Do you have a trick for skimming cream off of your goat's milk? I don't usually see much of a separation with our milk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. Ours just has a really high butterfat so it separates after a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only ever got about 1-2 tablespoons of cream off of a quart of goat's milk but man does it ever make great butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I love this idea. I've heard about shirred eggs but never tried them. I just start buying raw cows milk and I've got lots of cream. I tend to like 2% milk and I read a tip on how to keep the cream separated. I bought a sun tea jar with the spout on the bottom of the jar and when I want a glass of milk I can pour the separated milk from the bottom. When I want cream I skim it off the top. I'm guessing the same would work with goats milk.

    ReplyDelete