Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Challenge - Chayote

The farmer was back! So I stocked up on Chayote so I can continue with March's challenge. I'll have to play catch up though because I missed last week.

It's raining and cold - perfect soup weather. I haven't had a simple vegetable soup lately so tonight it was a Vegetable Soup with Chayote. It was tasty. The chayote, though wasn't particularly flavorful - much like zucchini. The texture was perfect though. This soup is simple and you can really add just about any vegetable that suits you.

In this recipe I chose not to skin the chayote. You can do that if you want, but I don't mind the skin as it's really thin so I just left it on.

Vegetable Soup with Chayote

2 Chayote cut in half
3 Carrots, sliced
1 Onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cut in 1/2" chunks
10 oz mushrooms
8 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs Harissa Spice Mix
1 tsp salt
Tapatio to taste

1. In a large stockpot add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add Chayote halves and boil for 15-20 minutes or until seed can be scooped out. Chop chayote.
2. Add everything to hot stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender - about 30 minutes.
3. Serve with fresh bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment