Sunday, September 4, 2011

Week 48 - I'm So Over Not Buying Food

Sunday
Had leftovers from Saturday.

Monday
We fended for ourselves. Tom had more leftovers and I had french toast.

Tuesday
We went to our friends' house for dinner where we had chicken fajitas.

Wednesday
Pork stir fry with carrots, onions, beets, eggplant, green beans, corn and garlic from the garden. Served with brown rice.

Thursday
Jeanette bought us some Mexican food.

Friday
Pizza with rabbit sausage, onion, bell pepper and homemade tomato sauce made with herbs from the garden. 


Saturday
Jeanette had a hankering for seafood so she bought some shellfish from a local oyster farm at the farmers' market to share. I accompanied it with pasta and a cream sauce.

Reflections
You're probably wondering who Jeanette is. She's one of my best friends and is currently staying in our water tower. Since we cook dinner for her most nights (obviously we're not going to exclude her) she's wanted to chip in her share since she's not on this journey with us and when we started it we didn't factor in feeding 4 people, only 3 - Tom, Junior (my stepson) and myself.

I have come to the realization that not buying any food for 3 months is a complete pain in the ass. I hate it. Completely. I never want to have to do this again unless we absolutely have to. It's much harder work than I ever expected. Honestly, I didn't think it would be that much different than going without groceries but it is. You're so limited on what you can prepare and you have to get SO MUCH MORE creative.

We only have a month left, which I am sooooo grateful for. It's definitely a challenge and I find myself daydreaming about saying screw it and buying some food.

Tom says he likes it though. He looks at it as a bigger picture and is proud of what we're accomplishing, though he's frustrated about the lack of fruit and sometimes he just wants something different to eat.


1 comment:

  1. You two are awesome! I just discovered you and your project this morning and am so inspired to do more--more gardening and local grocery shopping--and less Raley's. I can imagine you're feeling over it at this point, but I am grateful to you for embarking on this journey and helping others like me make a change for the better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete