Saturday, September 11, 2010

Shampoo and Conditioner

I dye my hair. I don't like the natural color and since I'm already over 30% gray I've decided to just dye it black. What I like about the black hair is that all of a sudden my eyes have an actual color to them. With my natural hair color they were always kind of an unremarkable washed out gray-green-blue. With the black contrast they are more blue now.

My hair is also oily and fine. Not a good combo. Add onto that the fact that I am prone to outer ear infections, which are of course exacerbated by commercial shampoos, specifically products that contain Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate or SLS. It just so happens that the products that contain that ingredient also ruin your color. So I had switched my hair products to a brand that didn't contain SLS, parabens or phthalates. Of course these more expensive and you have to use more of them to get oily hair clean. So I am always in search of a better product.

I came across this post on One Green Generation about using baking soda and vinegar to wash and condition your hair.

Today I gave it a whirl. I'll be honest, I was totally skeptical. Afterall, I have oily hair and the non-SLS shampoo I have been using is so-so at cleansing. Since it's Saturday I figured that if it didn't work I could just pull my hair into a pony tail the rest of the day and just go back to my regular routine tomorrow.

I don't think I'll need to do that. I'm totally sold. Not only is my hair CLEAN, but it's softer and smoother than it ever was. It's the same texture as if I'd been standing in the rain for a long time and then let it dry naturally. You know, that smooth, extra soft texture. So I think I'm going to keep this new routine. It's MUCH cheaper than even bargain shampoo.

Now all I need is a good all-natural body wash.

5 comments:

  1. I'm dying to know how this works over the long haul! I just spent a fortune on shampoo because it's the only one that works well with my hair and the hair of my daughter! She has SUPER curly hair, and it's hard to find a product that works - but honestly, her hair never looks better than after a trip to the beach, so I'm wondering if your natural remedy will work on us!!!

    SKINNYSOON13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, Amazingly enough I got up this morning and my hair STILL isn't oily. This is completely unheard of for me! It doesn't even feel like it normally would the day after washing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you mix it? ratio? I also have fine oily hair and have NEVER found ANYTHING that I like. Expensive and Cheap alike...no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally gave this a whirl on Monday and my hair is amazing. I haven't washed it since then, so I will tonight, though it doesn't seem to really need it. I need to get a squeeze bottle for the baking soda mix and I'm steeping lavender and rosemary in my vinegar right now. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jocelyn, if you go to the link she has different ratios. I believe both are 4 parts water to 1 part baking soda/vinegar

    ReplyDelete